Are We Really Getting That Old?

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Tonight was one of my best friends' birthday so a few of us got together for some tapas and sangria. We had a nice two and a half hour dinner, and headed on our separate ways home.

As I entered my apartment building (which as a side, is across the street from a college campus), I said "hello" to my doorman who is there every week night when I get home. Tonight I got home at 9:45, not 5:45 pm. This is what happened from there:

Doorman: "You just getting home now?"

Me: "Yes, was out for a girlfriend's birthday."

Doorman: "Nice, have a good night."

Me: "You too."

*I head over to the elevator where another girl is walking into it right in front of me.

College girl: "What floor?"

Me: "Eight, thanks."

College girl: "So, you were out for a friends' birthday, and you're home already?"

Me: "Ya, we have to wake up early for work in the morning."

College girl: "But still, it's a Thursday. You could still be out for a little while longer."

Me: "Well, I guess this is what happens when you get old."

College girl chuckles to herself, out loud, and gets out at her floor.

I mean, really? Are we that old? I don't feel that old. And, to be honest, I much prefer our long dinners on a week night, to our crazy nights out of our younger years.

To college girl in the elevator: you just wait. Those sweat pants that you've been wearing all day, savor those moments because this is your future, and will be here before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment