Pizza Night

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

David and I are huge fans of an easy, order delivery, pizza night. Let's be honest, who isn't? In an effort to make something a bit healthier I decided to take delivery pizza night into my own hands. I am SO happy I did this. Here's the scoop.

I actually made one pizza, and one stromboli. Either way you can really get creative with your ingredients. I went basic with the pizza, and used spinach that I had already as my inspiration for the stromboli. To make this a do-able meal on a weeknight I started with the Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust. If you're making a normal pizza you'll pre-bake it. If you choose to make a stromboli, no pre-baking needed. I just cooked it in 6-8 minute increments and kept a close eye on it.


Our pizza was pepperoni, green pepper and cheese. I went light on the cheese and heavier on the other toppings. Super easy to do. Pre-bake your crust on a cookie sheet. Add toppings of choice. Put back in the oven to cook and melt cheese. Your pizza will be ready in approximately 15 minutes total!



As mentioned, my stromboli inspiration came from some spinach that I already had at home. I picked up some mushroom alfredo sauce (I decided to make a white pizza), prosciutto (I was going to do bacon bits, but our market didn't have any, darn!), sun dried tomatoes, a red onion and garlic. You'll saute the onion and garlic in olive oil (probably 2-3 tbsp) to start. Once those are starting to cook down and soften you'll add your sun dried tomatoes, and prosciutto. I added my spinach when the prosciutto started to golden in color. Since the prosciutto is a salty meat, you don't need to add more salt. I seasoned with black pepper and red pepper flakes. Don't cook the spinach all the way down, I'd say about 2/3 of the way. It will finish in the oven. Now that your toppings are cooked, roll out your dough just as you would for a regular pizza. Pour your ingredients "long ways" across the dough in the middle. I topped it with a bit of shredded Italian cheese mixture (the same cheese that I used for our pizza), then wrapped the dough around the spinach mixture, pinched closed, and topped with a bit more cheese. Total, I think my stromboli cooked for about 20 minutes.




I'm sorry I don't have measurements. I guess I really am becoming a home cook. I just throw things together, and hope for the best! I promise though, if I can do this, you can do this. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment