Taco Bowls

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Earlier this week I promised a post about a favorite weeknight meal. The first thing I will tell you is I'm sorry for the horribly low quality photo that is to come. It's just not in the cards lately, getting out the DSLR and setting a scene for my food shot when I barely have time to eat it.

Our nights with the babe are short and sweet on a weeknight. Dave and I both typically get home around 6 pm, the sitter leaves, the dog gets a walk, Noelle gets a bottle, and then it's bed time between 8-8:30 pm (for her, not us). In that two hours somewhere one of us makes dinner and we eat. 

Years ago Dave and I started making "Mexican Stirfry." It was one of our favorite dishes. Over the years though, it has transformed into more of a taco bowl. We love eating mexican food, and this is a super easy way to get that fix without all the work and assembly that tacos require.

You'll need ground beef, seasoned with taco seasoning, and your veggies of choice to mix in. This night, we chose a red pepper, a green pepper and half an onion that was leftover. We made a side of my favorite yellow rice (Zataran's is the best if you ask me) to go with it. I put my rice and taco mixture in a bowl together, and topped it with chunky avocado. 


In the old days where we had more time to linger over our meals, Dave would make his own pico de gallo, and guacamole. We would have other toppings such as salsa, sour cream, and melty Chihuahua cheese. If you like, I highly recommend these items! However, the sour cream and cheese definitely pack on the calories, so if you're looking for something with slightly less, don't cave into their deliciousness!

From start to finish, I'd say this takes about 35 minutes. Get your rice going first, and when it has about 15 minutes left, start your ground beef. After you've drained the fat out of your pan, add the taco seasoning. Once that is blended together throw in your veggies until they're soft. By the time this is done, your rice will be finished, and you're ready to chow down.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment